Cover for compensation payments and legal fees
The compensation includes:
- pain and suffering
- special damages (including loss of income)
- disadvantage on the labour market
- dependants of workers killed while at work
- the State benefits paid to the employee
- employees temporarily working overseas
- acts of terrorism
In addition to providing compensation for workplace injuries and diseases, the policy also provides defence costs cover for actions brought by Regulators under the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 and the Corporate Manslaughter Act 2007. The standard cover includes a wide definition of 'employees' and extends to cover temporary work undertaken by employees outside the UK. Extensions are available to cover work offshore and substantial indemnity limits are available. A renewal bonus is also available which is an incentive for effective risk management and recognises good claims experience.
Risk engineering expertise
Our approach is to work with your client to understand and minimise the overall cost of risks while protecting business assets. The Zurich Risk Engineering team can help improve business resilience by offering tailored risk advice. We offer the following health and safety-specific expertise:
- Health and safety status review - A baseline assessment of key health and safety management issues and determination of the adequacy of current systems and resources
- Health and safety risk assessment - Reviews of existing methodology, customised assessments and strategy development. Specific assessments include premises hazards, noise and vibration, hazardous substances, manual handling and computer workstation equipment
- Corporate standards development - Helps develop health and safety policies and procedures through a review of existing systems, documentation and organisational culture
- Operational health and safety services - Including occupational hygiene, ergonomics, transportation (including fleet risk management), fire and explosion (life safety), electrical safety and work equipment and machinery safety
- Training - Works alongside the customer to identify employee training needs and develop robust action plans. Our training practitioners are specialists in their field, demonstrating their competence in a wide range of safety-related disciplines and industrial sectors
- Medical Management Centre and access to our award-winning Rehabilitation programme - An innovative approach to injury management, rehabilitation is a key tool in managing specified injuries where the insured is legally liable. In the event of a workplace incident, our rehabilitation proposition aims to help to reduce the overall cost of injuries and accidents at work by helping employees recover quicker and return to work sooner, leading to a speedier resolution and a reduction in claims cost.
We have a dedicated team of fully qualified occupational health advisors and nurses sitting alongside our claims team utilising the best in private medical health care. This service is included within the EL premium.
To learn more about our Risk Engineering proficiency, take a look at Our Expertise page.
We have adopted a customer-centric approach to claims with Casualty claims at the heart of this. We offer a claims service, incorporating specialist and expert knowledge of a wide range of injury and illness types. Benefits of our proposition include:
- Practice leaders in employers liability - years of expertise and understanding to deal with these types of claims quickly and efficiently
- Specialist Occupational Disease Team - We are the largest occupational disease claims handler in the UK, and have a specialist Occupational Disease Team to handle these. Our centre has a high level of disease claims experience, seeing volumes of historic disease types such as mesothelioma and deafness. They are constantly researching new areas so we are ready for potential claims
- Complex Liability Claims Team - handle high value claims. Our strategy is to drive complex claims to settlement at the earliest opportunity via our access to experts from lawyers and counsel through to loss adjustors and forensic accountants
Find out more on Our Expertise page.