Coronavirus – for policies underwritten by Zurich Insurance Plc.
Bulletin issued: 3rd February 2020
Due to the ongoing developments we advise all customers to keep up to date with the latest travel advice and information regarding the ongoing situation through government, travel provider, tour operator and media websites.
Please see the FCO website for the full and latest information: www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice
Please also refer to the World Health Organisation’s website for the latest information about which countries are affected by the outbreak: www.who.int/
If you have booked travel to China and/ or an affected area or region you should:
- Review the latest information via the FCO website.
- Contact your travel agent, tour operator or transport provider as they may be able to move your booking or advise further on the next steps for you to take if you wish to change the destination of your trip or cancel your trip.
- Check your policy documents as some policies may have cover in the event of a governing body advising against travel. This will depend on the cover purchased so you will need to refer to your policy documents. If you need any assistance regarding this you can contact the customer service team on the telephone number provided in your policy documents. They will be able to advise you further.
If you are currently in China and/ or an affected area or region you should:
- Follow the advice outlined by the UK Government on the FCO website and follow accordingly.
- Contact your travel agent, tour operator or transport provider as advice and measures are changing on a daily basis. One major airline has so far ceased flights to / from China and others may follow.
- Check your policy documents as some policies may have cover for additional expenses or costs incurred to return home in the event of a government body advising against travel in a region. The cover in place will depend on the policy purchased so please read your documents. If you need assistance regarding this you can contact the customer service team on the telephone number provided in your policy documents.
If you are currently on a trip and require medical assistance
Cover will remain in place for emergency medical expenses and associated costs if you fall ill as a result of coronavirus.
If you are unable to return home before your cover ends due to reasons outside your control
(Refer to the ‘Automatic extension of cover’ section in your policy wording for full details)
Your insurance will remain in force without additional premium for:
- up to 14 days, if any vehicle you are travelling in breaks down, or your public transport carrier in which you are travelling as a ticket holding passenger is cancelled or delayed;
- up to 14 days, if due to the reasons set out in section ‘Catastrophe, natural disaster and airspace closure’ (only applies if this section is shown as insured in your statement of insurance); or
- up to 30 days, if due to your injury, illness or compulsory quarantine. We may extend your period of insurance for longer if considered medically necessary by Zurich Assist under section 1 ‘Emergency medical assistance and expenses’.
Please refer to your policy documents and specific policy wording for full terms and conditions of the cover in place and our contact details should you require any assistance.