Zurich takes strategic steps to strengthen UK underwriting
London, May 2, 2018
- customer needs drive shift to new model
- Bolstering presence in the North of the country
Zurich today announces the strengthening of its capabilities in the UK as it continues the evolution to be a simpler, more streamlined and customer-focused organisation.
The insurer is also announcing a number of appointments, particularly in the North of the country, to bolster its on-the-ground expertise at a regional level and help customers with more complex needs. Reflecting this strategy, Zurich will also introduce underwriting centres of excellence across the UK.
This model will take shape in line with demand from the market. The insurer is committed to providing its people with the opportunity to diversify their careers and transfer their skills from one area to another – particularly across technical disciplines – and through building people’s digital and technological skills.
What are the specifics?
- A brand new SME underwriting team in Leeds will handle small businesses with more complex requirements. The existing team in Cardiff will retain its focus on micro-SME and package business.
- Croydon will become the hub for business written through schemes
- A new centralised team in Birmingham will write international business outside London
To balance its expertise across the country, Zurich is making these appointments in Manchester:
- Antony Statham will join from Chubb in the summer as Head of Regional Financial Lines. He will lead a new approach for Zurich driving its FL strategy across our expanding platform with cross-class capabilities across Directors & Officers Liability, Professional Indemnity, Cyber Financial Institutions and Crime business.
- Paul Mundy (pictured below right) will join from QBE as Regional Underwriter Leader for the North. Bringing 30+ years of experience, he will help ensure underwriting decisions across the North are made swiftly and seamlessly.
Commenting on these enhancements to the business, Zurich’s UK CEO, Tulsi Naidu said, "We’ve had a positive start to the year, and I’d like to thank brokers and customers for their support. We have ambitious plans for growth from here, and to achieve this, we need to keep flexible, agile and have the right people in the right place.
“Our technical expertise is well-known, but making sure it’s well-balanced across the country means we will always be on-hand to help brokers and customers with their needs wherever they’re based. These new appointments in Manchester and our new team in Leeds reflect our growing capability across the country.”
Elsewhere Zurich is bolstering its senior team with the following appointments:
- Justin Wood (below left) joins the business to lead Retail and Mid-Market underwriting. Previously Commercial Director at Aviva, Justin’s remit will include driving underwriting innovation and digitalisation.
- Joachim Tolle has been appointed as Head of Financial Institutions business and joins from Brit Insurance. His strategic perspective and technical expertise will help Zurich’s growth in the FI market.
- Adrian Jenner (below middle) has been appointed as Head of D&O and joins us from Beazley. He brings a wealth of knowledge, experience and energy to the role which will further strengthen the depth of talent the insurer already has in this market.
- James Roberts has been promoted to the role of Head of Regional Markets, following the decision by Roy Standish (Sales & Distribution Director) to leave the business. James is currently the Head of Broker Market for the South East, and a replacement for this role is being sought.