What personal information will you collect about me?
We may collect personal information about you (such as your name, gender, date of birth, salary and email address) to enable you to manage your account, and when you report a problem with our website.
We also collect information about the way you browse our website. When you visit our website, we automatically collect information about your browsing session, for example your IP address and what type of device you are using, e.g. a computer, a smart phone or a tablet. We also record the pages you view during your visit. However, we will not use this information to identify you personally.
Who do you share my personal information with?
When you use our website we need to share the personal information you gave us for the purposes of providing you with the goods and services you have requested, for example:
- associated companies including suppliers and service providers, such as companies who help us maintain, operate and promote our websites; and
- our group companies, details of which can be found here
- credit reference agencies, who assist us in verifying your identity. This search is recorded by the credit reference agency but does not affect your credit score.
We may also disclose your personal information in response to a request from law enforcement/regulatory authorities or other government officials, where required or permitted by law.
How do you use my personal information?
We will collect and use your personal information:
(i) where the processing is necessary in connection with providing you with a quotation and/or contract of insurance and/or provision of financial services that you have requested;
(ii) to meet our legal or regulatory requirements;
(iii) for our "legitimate interests". It is in our legitimate interests to collect your personal information as it provides us with the information that we need to provide our services to you more effectively We will always ensure that the amount of information that we collect and the extent of our processing activities do not go beyond what is required to meet this legitimate interest.
Links on this website
We may have included links on our website to other sites that you may find useful. These websites will all have their own privacy statement which will differ from ours. Therefore, please ensure when you click on any of the links, that you read the privacy statement located on the website you have selected. Any websites connected with this site are not within our control.
How do you transfer my personal information to other countries?
Where we transfer your personal information to countries that are outside of the European Economic Area (EEA), we will ensure that it is protected and that the transfer is lawful. We will do this by ensuring that the personal information is given adequate safeguards by using 'standard contractual clauses' which have been adopted or approved by the European Commission, the EU-US Privacy Shield Framework or other solutions that are in-line with the requirements of European data protection laws.
You can get a copy of our security measures for personal information transfers from our Data Protection Officer at: Zurich Insurance Group, Tri-centre 1, Newbridge Square, Swindon, SN1 1HN, or by emailing the Data Protection Officer at GBZ.General.Data.Protection@uk.zurich.com.
How long do you retain my personal information for?
What are my data protection rights?
You have a number of rights in relation to how your personal information is processed by us. We have set out an overview of these rights below. These rights are not absolute and will apply, subject to certain conditions, as set out in applicable data protection legislation. Your rights may include:
- to access your data (by way of a subject access request);
- to have your data rectified if it is inaccurate or incomplete;
- in certain circumstances, to have your data erased, for example if you withdraw your consent to us using it, or we no longer need it for the purpose for which we collected it;
- in certain circumstances, to restrict the processing of your data;
- a right of data portability, namely to obtain from us in a structured, commonly used and machine-readable format a copy of your data for you to reuse for your own purposes across different services;
- to object to direct marketing. If we use information about you for this purpose you can "opt-out" without the need to justify it;
- if we use the information about you on the basis of our legitimate interest, other than for the purpose of direct marketing, you can object to our using it for those purposes;
- not to be subject to automated decision making (including profiling), where it produces a legal effect or a similarly significant effect on you;
- to claim compensation for damages caused by a breach of the data protection legislation; and
- if we are processing your personal information with your consent, you have the right to withdraw your consent at any time.
If you wish to apply any of your rights, we have a designated point of contact for each of our areas which you can access here. Please be ready to quote your name and address as they appear on your insurance documents and your appropriate reference code, e.g. your policy number, quote number or plan number, as this will assist us in dealing with your request. If you are unsure about your product type, you can contact us by calling 0800 096 6233.
What happens if I fail to provide my personal information to you?
If you do not provide us with the required personal information, we will not be able to provide you with the services you requested.
Who can I contact for further information?
Zurich Insurance Group
or via email at GBZ.General.Data.Protection@uk.zurich.com.
If you are concerned about how we process your personal information, or are not satisfied with our handling of a request you have made in relation to your rights, you can make a complaint to the Information Commissioner's Office at this address: First Contact Team, Information Commissioner's Office, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, SK9 5AF. You also have the right to seek a judicial remedy before a court.
Zurich Group means Zurich Insurance Group Ltd, and its direct subsidiary companies (as defined by the Companies Act 2006) and branches of such subsidiary companies from time to time.