After reaching a 50% reduction in CO2e per employee, and 40 percent reduction in energy per employee in 2016 (compared against a 2007 baseline), Zurich committed to a further 20 percent reduction by 2025 against a new baseline year of 2015. We also set a new target on copy paper quality to ensure that the paper we use as part of our daily operations comes from responsibly managed sources.
In the UK our use of green electricity (generated by wind, water, waves and biomass) has dramatically increased since 2005, with 100% of owned buildings now totally powered by green electricity. We encourage the landlords of our leased accommodation to do the same.
To help reduce our energy consumption, we have started to implement a number of initiatives including:
- Introducing more efficient lighting, utilising intelligent controls, movement detectors and replacing lighting with more efficient lamps where possible
- Replacing old air conditioning equipment and boilers with newer, more efficient systems
- Reviewing the lighting controls and heating and cooling plants at each building so that they only operate during office hours
- Pre-determining the heating controls to maintain a building temperature of 22°c, ±2°c
- Requiring all building and engineering projects to include a sustainability case.
|2015||2016||2017||2018||% change against base year (2015)|
|Total emissions [kg CO2e]||20,083,674||14,254,924||12,604,808||12,193,513||-39%|
|Facilities emissions [kg CO2e]||10,400,736||7,467,894||5,373,778||4,965,018||-54%|
|Travel emissions [kg CO2e]||9,382,938||6,787,030||7,231,030||7,228,494||-23%|
|Total emissions per FTE [kg CO2e / Employee]||2,974||2,356||2,246||2,246||-11%|