Here are some home security tips to help you stay safe and sound - after all, prevention is the best type of insurance we know.
- Always lock the door and close the windows when you go out, even if it’s only for a short time
- All your external doors should ideally have 3 locking points. Mortice locks are a useful deterrent to would-be burglars (available from any DIY store)
- Window locks are another good deterrent.
- Never ever leave spare keys outside
- Always keep your car and house keys hidden from plain sight when they’re in the house
- Don’t leave window and door keys in their locks
- Always draw your curtains at night so people can’t see your valuables from the street
- If you’re away, even for the night, use timers on lights to make it look like someone’s in
- Visible burglar alarms, security lights and good overall lighting are useful in deterring unwelcome attention
- Gravel is a very cheap security measure. The crunching noise makes it very difficult for thieves to sneak quietly around outside your house
Conditions apply. UK residents only.