Wellbeing is the way we think and feel about ourselves, our confidence, and our ability to control things in our life, both at home and at work. We recognise the variation in the personal circumstances of our employees, and the demands and commitments on them in terms of balancing their home and working lives. We also recognise that these demands change during a person’s working life.
To support and promote a sense of physical and mental health among our employees we've established a wellbeing group that includes employee representatives . Its remit is to consider aspects of health and wellbeing associated specifically with physical and mental health, employee resilience and the work environment.
• Zurich hosted a wellbeing roundtable, where various organisations came together to discuss best practice in integrating employee wellbeing into the business strategy.
• We piloted a series of mental health workshops and resilience training and will extend these further in 2017.
• We provide free fruit in many of our offices.
• Launched our first wellbeing Employee Resource Group (ERG) to employees who have been impacted by cancer.
• As part of our wellbeing week we ran support and awareness sessions with Mind, Bupa and MacMillan Cancer Support, had health monitors in our offices, and ran a six week StepZ Challenge – with employees competing all over the UK.
• Zurich representation on the Mental Health panel at the DiveIn Festival.
Mental and physical wellbeing
Zurich’s Wellbeing programme aims to create an environment where employees are aware of their own and others' health and wellbeing and to take personal responsibility for their own actions.
To support and promote a sense of physical and mental health among our employees we’ve established a Wellbeing Group which includes representatives from our consultation bodies. Its remit is to consider aspects of health and wellbeing associated specifically with physical and mental health, employee resilience and the work environment.
To show our intent to support mental health issues in the workplace we signed the Time to Change organisation pledge in 2014. The Time to Change pledge is a public statement of aspiration that an organisation wants to tackle mental health stigma and discrimination in the workplace. The programme is run by the charities Mind (one of Zurich Cares' national partners) and Rethink Mental Health.
As an organisation we take all health issues very seriously and have access to market leading specialist support such as:
- An employee support facility - ‘Workplace Options’ - a free, confidential and independent phone service that can help with a wide range of issues 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
- Health Matters – an online health and wellbeing resource provided by our occupational health provider, Health Management Limited
- BUPA Positive Health – an online interactive health and wellbeing programme
In 2015 we held our first Wellbeing Week across all of our UK businesses. Events included:
- StepZ Challenge (which included cycling & swimming as well as walking) with free pedometers and waterbottles for participants. 493 completed challenge with 173 million steps
- On-site health monitors for blood pressure testing, weight, height and BMI measurements
- Cancer awareness webinars (breast, lung, skin, prostate, gynaecologyb & bowel)
- Britain’s Healthiest Company 2015 Survey participation
- MIND lunch & learn sessions on Resilience and Coping with Change
- Quiz – with a 360 degree health assessment prize (worth £500)
- Local activities e.g. yoga, military style fitness sessions, lunchtime running club
Other Wellbeing activities held during 2015 included:
- MIND workshops for managers on Managing People Who Present at Work as Stressed, Anxious or Depressed successfully piloted and now available as an offering via My Learning.
- Resilience Through Change workshops for employees successfully piloted and now available as an offering via My Learning
- Wellbeing Champions Network extended – 22 champions in 16 locations
- Mission Slimpossible is a 10 week weight loss challenge – 269 participants in 11 locations
Pilots held in November with a view to offering in 2016:
- Onsite health checks – blood pressure, cholesterol and glucose (3 locations)
- Diabetes awareness sessions (2 locations)
We recognise the variation in the personal circumstances of our employees and the demands and commitments on them in terms of balancing their home and working lives. We also recognise that these demands change during a person’s working life. We therefore offer employees:
• A number of flexible working patterns e.g. part-time working, job sharing, compressed hours and home working.
• An industry leading flexible benefits package which includes childcare vouchers, cycle2work, dental care, private healthcare and health screening.
• Support for employees with both long and short term illness, involving occupational health referrals, income protection and rehabilitation.